Day 1: Maun
Arrival in Maun, the gateway to the Okavango Delta. Situated on the banks of the Thamalakane River, Maun is a bustling frontier town where we prepare for the delta excursion. After setting up camp we have a relaxing afternoon at the swimming pool.
Accommodation: Campsite – good ablution facilities
Day 2 – 4: Okavango Delta
Our local guides will take us deep into the heart of the Okavango Delta on mekoro (dugout canoes). The delta forms as water flows from the Angolan highlands out over the Botswanan flat Kalahari Desert sands creating a delicate, green oasis for birds and wildlife. We will camp wild on remote islands in this amazingly dynamic environment and enjoy bush walks, bird watching and swimming in the clear water. Camping with our local guides we learn more about their lifestyle and culture. We return to Maun in the late afternoon of day 4 and have time for an optional (own expense) game flight over the Okavango, which will reveal a different aspect of the delta.
Accommodation at: Wild Camping – basic ablution facilities (2 nights), Campsite – good ablution facilities (1 night)
Includes: Meals (3 breakfast/ 3 lunch/ 2 dinner), entrance to Okavango Delta, mokoro excursion, morning and afternoon game walks with local guides
Day 5 – 8: Moremi & Savuti
We have 4 nights in these conservation areas with time to explore the various habitats. We spend our time on game drives watching the plentiful wildlife including wild dog, elephant, hippo, buffalo, lion & other game.
Moremi Game Reserve rates as one of the leading wildlife areas of the world and we take our open 4WD vehicle into Moremi for fantastic game viewing! Grasslands, floodplains, forests, lily lagoons and winding water channels combine to form a variety of game viewing habitats.
Moving north over the sand ridge and into the Mababe depression we arrive at the Savuti Marsh. This open grassland area attracts herds of zebra and wildebeest, which in turn draw the large lion prides for which Savuti is famous. We camp wild in the central Chobe National Park at either Savuti or Zwei-Zwei.
Accommodation at: Wild Camping – basic ablution facilities
Includes: Meals (4 breakfast/ 4 lunch/ 4 dinner), entrance fees, morning and afternoon game drives in open 4WD game viewing vehicle
Day 9 –10: Chobe National Park
The Chobe River flows lazily along the northern boundary of the Chobe National Park attracting some of the largest herds of elephant in Africa. In the early morning we search for game on the flood plains of the Chobe River. The late afternoon game viewing “sundowner” cruise is a highlight as we see the mighty elephant herds returning to the Chobe River to quench their thirst. We camp at Kasane on the Chobe River for night 10.
Accommodation at: Wild Camping – basic ablution facilities (1 night), Camping – good ablution facilities (1 night)
Includes: Meals (2 breakfast/ 2 lunch/ 1 dinner), entrance fees, morning and afternoon game drives in open 4WD game viewing vehicle & sunset cruise on Chobe River
Day 11 – 12: Victoria Falls – Livingstone (Zambia)
We camp for 2 nights in Zambia near Livingstone town on the banks of the Zambezi River. Enjoy a spectacular walk through tropical vegetation to the very edge of the “Mosi oa Tunya” or “the smoke that thunders” – Victoria Falls. Opportunities to white water raft on the mighty Zambezi River, bungi jump, or take a “flight of angels” (own expense).
Accommodation at: Campsite – good ablution facilities
Includes: Meals (2 breakfast), entrance to see the Victoria Falls
Day 13: Zambia – Victoria Falls – Departure
Tour ends at 08:00 after breakfast. Transfers to local airports are available.ENQUIRY ABOUT PRICES Other details about this itinerary »
- Overnight: 5 nights on safari we stay at designated campsites in national parks and towns. Formal campsites have hot and cold showers, laundry facilities & telephones.
7 nights we “camp wild” without fences in the wilderness areas. On these nights the crew will erect a bucket shower (with hot water off the fire) and a pit latrine (with seat!).
- Meals: 12 breakfasts, 10 lunches and 8 dinners will be provided by the Sunway crew, prepared at the vehicle and eaten around the camp fire.
- Transport: for the majority of this safari you travel in a custom-built 4WD Land Cruiser with 12 forward facing seats (of which 8 are “window” seats). Roll up canvas sides allow you to feel part of the bush. For the first two days from Johannesburg to Maun we use custom-built Sunway Safari trucks with 12 forward facing seats; or (on 5% of tours) Mercedes Sprinter minibuses with 12 forward facing seats and air conditioning.
- Limited participation: An essential part of your safari is some participation. From putting up your tent to packing the truck in the morning – it’s all part of your adventure and when everyone puts in a little effort the trip will run smoothly. Your tour leaders will do all the meal preparation but we do ask the clients to help (on rotation) with the washing up. If there are 9 or more clients on the tour, then a supply vehicle and camp assistant travel with the group through the national parks (days 5-10). The camp assistant will help with meal preparation and washing up, and make your life a little easier!
Questo perché alcune destinazioni offrono tariffe molto variabili e offerte speciali in alcuni periodi dell’anno. Preferiamo pertanto offrire la tariffa più competitiva disponibile in fase di richiesta informazioni.
Ognuno potrà valutare la soluzione più adatta alle proprie esigenze.
Riepilogo: il tuo viaggio in Botswana
- Tipo di pernottamento: Camping site, Mobile camp
- Spostamenti: Vehicle 4x4
Botswana is topographically flat, with up to 70 percent of its territory being the Kalahari Desert but thanks to the Okavango River the country opens diverse areas of wildlife habitat with grasslands, savannah, hundreds or little islets and salt pans in the middle of the dry savannah where the biggest population of elephants live together with hippos, lions, leopards, eagles and pelicans.. More »
The trip of your dreams
Want to ask for more information on the trip of your dreams in Africa? We can offer different travel packages. Contact us now »